Monday, March 30, 2009

A 36 Minute Wake-up Call

Ten days ago, Sumon ran three miles in 24 minutes - apparently his fastest time ever. He also happened to be racing me. Gee, thanks.

Needless to say, he beat me in the race...by a landslide. While I had no chance of beating 24 minutes, I definitely could've done better than the 36 minutes that I was clocked at. So, in addition to the embarassment of having to make eye contact with Sumon and Bindie at the finish line (where they had a full twelve minutes to celebrate his victory before I showed up), I also had to spend my drive from Memorial Park back to Sugar Land reflecting on the debacle that had just happened. I looked in the rearview mirror (symbolism!) and vowed to begin exercising and eating healthier once again.

Ten days later, and I am doing much better. The day after our race, I picked up bananas, apples, oranges, and wheat bread from the grocery store. Also, after not stepping inside a gym for more than a year, I started lifting weights again. Must admit that weights help me with posture and flexibility more than I tend to give them credit for. They just make me more aware of the form/functionality of my various muscle groups which helps me stretch them out.

Next up, Sumon and I will take part in a leisurely game of tennis. From there, we'll move to the football field to find out who can pump their quads faster in a spirited 40-yard dash. After completing two events in our epic 10-month decathlon, we have each been embarassed once. Time to turn up the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment